Construction & Maintenance Technician
Open until filled.
||Construction & Maintenance Technician
||Construction & Maintenance Supervisor
||$12.00 – $17.00; starting salary is determined by experience & funding
|Hours of Work:
||Monday through Friday, 8:00am-4:30pm, variations in days and time as needed, on call
The Construction & Maintenance Technician is responsible for maintaining NPHA residential units by carrying out the duties and tasks necessary to complete each maintenance work order. The position is responsible for the repairs and maintenance of physical structures such as housing units and NPHA offices using hand tools and power tools. This position performs all tasks related to the maintenance, repairs, and modifications of buildings, equipment, and common areas as requested through work orders. Operates and maintains approved power tools and light mechanical equipment. Performs basic painting, carpentry, electrical and plumbing repair work of average difficulty in response to service requests and conducts inspections of NPHA housing units.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
(Although NPHA has considered most basic functions of maintenance and construction responsibilities, the duties below are not inclusive or all required tasks.)
- Troubleshoots electrical, plumbing, and appliance systems as well as monitoring all systems to ensure that they are working properly. Assists with or performs repairs, replacement and preventative maintenance as appropriate. All work must be documented per NPHA process.
- Electrical tasks include testing, repairing, or replacing light switches and electrical outlets as well as conducting ground fault detection tests.
- Plumbing tasks include repairing faucets; replacing washers, seats, stems, hose bibs, supply lines, valves, and hardware as required; repairing minor water leaks; replacing and/or repairing flush valves or flush tank hardware; clearing clogged drains and soil lines, and replacing water tanks.
- Appliance systems include the repair/replacement of ranges, refrigerators, dishwashers and air conditioners.
- Performs carpentry work such as: replacing/repairing doors, windows and hardware; repairing cabinets and handrails; repairing roofing, gutters and downspouts; re-keying locks; and repairing decks.
- Performs minor masonry work such as grout and brick repair and/or repairing minor cracked concrete.
- Performs sheetrock repair such as installing and repairing drywall and blending finishes to match surrounding surfaces.
- Performs painting of walls, ceilings, and other surfaces in accordance with established NPHA standards, including tasks such as: preparing surfaces for painting by patching holes, sanding, scraping and/or masking; painting with brushes, rollers, or sprayers; performing touch-up painting after work in an area; spot painting metal surfaces for corrosion control.
- Performs specific yard maintenance tasks in accordance with established procedures such as mowing, trimming, edging, pruning, fertilizing, watering, reseeding and weeding. Makes ground care decisions such as cutting height, pruning requirements and plant spacing.
- Removes snow and ice from sidewalks with snow blowers, shovels and de-ice material.
- Prepares vacant units for occupancy by sweeping, wet-mopping, vacuuming and/or waxing floors; cleaning the unit, including but not limited to appliances, bathroom fixtures, tub surrounds, windows, window coverings; and completing all maintenance and repairs; and remove trash and debris from interior and exterior of the unit.
- Assists in inspecting residential units during move-in, move-out, and annual inspections as directed.
- Assists in hazardous waste cleanup following approved NPHA processes.
- Performs equipment preventive maintenance tasks such as checking for proper equipment operation, lubricating bearings, and changing air filters.
- Participates in on-call and weekend emergency maintenance and repairs as directed.
- Responsible for thorough knowledge of NPHA property management, maintenance plans and procedures.
- Reports unusual or extraordinary circumstances regarding the unit or tenants to the Construction & Maintenance Supervisor or Housing Compliance Officer.
- Utilizes a wide range of power tools such as drills, sanders, sewage line cleaners, saws, power washers, compressors, volt-ohm-amp meters, snow blowers, and lawn mowers.
- Operates and maintains ground care equipment such as shovels, axes, hoes, wheelbarrows, saws, trimmers, and hedge clippers.
- Operates and maintains cleaning equipment such as vacuum cleaners, buffers, ladders, brooms, mops and other such items with an overall goal of presenting a clean, healthy environment.
- Communicates with supervisor ideas/advice concerning products and vendor selection – based on knowledge and experience in the field, which may include research and evaluation of current or sample products for use in the maintenance of properties.
- Communicates and collaborates with vendors at housing units, including the coordination and inspection of work performed by private contractors.
- Assists with the ordering and receiving of routine and emergency supplies in compliance with the NPHA Procurement Policy.
- Provides guidance as needed to other department personnel, including technical input to decision making of housing improvements and other maintenance issues.
- Certifies the completion of work orders and provides timely reports on completed tasks and projects and performs required maintenance recordkeeping.
- Assists other staff with assignments and duties as necessary, and performs other necessary duties as required or assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of residential construction and remodeling related tasks, including practices, procedures, techniques, tools and equipment, and materials.
- Understand verbal and written instructions to complete roofing, flooring, window replacement, or other remodeling and/or construction projects.
- Ability to read blueprints.
- Safely operate a variety of equipment and tools including but not limited to air compressors, pneumatic nail guns, saws, drills, tape measures, levels, and hand tools.
- Ability to accurately read and use tape measures.
- Mathematical skills and analytical skills necessary to take and compute measurements and complete estimates.
Responsibility and Authority
No supervisory responsibilities.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- High school diploma or its equivalent; and/or
- 2-4 years of experience in maintenance and/or residential rehabilitation construction or related field.
- Previous on the job experience within a property maintenance, construction, or remodeling field.
- Experience operating computers with all MS Office products, databases, and/or property management software.
- Must provide own basic tools; list provided by NPHA.
- Associates degree in construction-related field
- 5 years of experience in maintenance and or residential rehabilitation construction.
Physical Requirements/Working conditions:
- 90% of time is spent working at job sites outdoors or indoors.
- Driving throughout NPHA service area is required.
- 90% of the job requires performing physical activities that require considerable use of your arms and legs and moving your whole body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, bending, stooping, standing and handling of materials and using hands and arms in handling, installing, positioning, and moving materials, and manipulating things.
- Ability to climb ladders for heights of up to 60 feet, and crawl for distances of 50 feet, working at heights for extended periods of time, working in tight areas such as crawl spaces.
- Ability to work with heavy tools, lumber and materials.
- Ability to lift and manipulate objects of up to 80 lbs. for 50 feet.
- Ability to follow all NPHA policies and procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with NPHA staff, contractors, tenants, and tribal members.
- Ability to understand and relate to Native American traditions, customs, and socioeconomic conditions.
- Works as a team to develop a “best practice” approach in housing functions.
- Must have as a valid Driver’s License and be insurable throughout the duration of employment.
- Comply with drug and alcohol free workplace policies.
- Successful completion of background screens.
IN ACCORDANCE WITH TITLE VII 1964 CIVIL RIGHTS ACT, SECTION 701(b) and 703(I), PREFERENCE IN FILLING ALL VACANCIES WILL BE GIVEN TO QUALIFIED NATIVE AMERICAN CANDIDATES.