Staff Dentist – Norfolk
Open until filled.
||Chief Dental Officer
||Grade 17 ($99,758.21-$145,407.32)
To provide primary dental care services to all federally recognized enrolled Tribal members who reside in the Ponca service unit area. Performs professional dental work to a population whose oral health needs are advanced and the procedures will be of greater difficulty.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provide primary and secondary preventative measure first and tertiary measures as a third priority in the practice of dentistry. Such services shall include, but not limited to the following:
- Emergency services: diagnosis and treatment of pain, infection, swelling, bleeding and trauma.
- Primary prevention to include oral health education, topical and systemic fluorides, periodontal prophylaxis, medical and dental exams, dental sealants as appropriate.
- Secondary prevention to include periodic examinations with radiographs, prompt treatment of oral lesions and compulsory exams.
- Basic oral services to include restorative, basic endodontic, occasional crowns, basic oral surgery and space maintenance.
- Tertiary measures to include some molar endodontics, crown and bridge, removable complete and partial dentures.
- Employee shall provide supervision to dental support staff as necessary. Employee shall work with health professions’ schools and training programs to train dental residents, dental assistants or other ancillary dental staff as times and resources allow. Such activity may not impair the Ponca Dental Clinics timely treatment of patients.
- Employee shall maintain adequate and current dental records. All files, charts, records, dental or otherwise generated by the employee during this employment are the property of the employer and stay in dental clinic.
- Employee shall assist in development of the oral health care plan and for documenting quality improvement planning and results.
- The dentist and the Chief Dental Officer shall meet regularly to coordinate areas of mutual concern including but not limited to the area of dental health planning, scheduling, staff etc.
Relationships and Authority:
The employee is responsible to the Chief Dental Officer for the provision of dental care under the above responsibilities and duties. The dentist utilizes professional knowledge to provide care. The dentist has the obligation and duties to supervise the chair-side dental assistant, dental hygienist and front desk staff.
Working Environment and Physical Demands:
Work requires long periods of standing, bending, reaching and lifting of boxes of dental supplies weight up to 50lbs or less. Work is subject to on occasion emotionally upset patients, family members, personnel and visitors.
- Graduation from an accredited dental school with a degree of Doctor of Dental Surgery or Doctor of Dental Medicine.
- License to practice dentistry in Nebraska with no restrictions.
- Must possess excellent written and oral communication skills.
- CPR certified.
- Computer proficiency with dental software experience.
- Must successfully pass drug and alcohol testing, motor vehicle, education, character, and criminal background checks.
- Able and willing to travel.
- One or more years experience working with Native Americans or Native American organizations.
- Dental faculty or teaching experience beneficial to mentor in clinic.
- One or more years experience as a Dentist in the state of Nebraska or a reciprocal state.
- Knowledge and understanding of Public Law 93-638: Indian Self Determination Act.
- Knowledge of Dentrix Enterprise practice management software and Dexis imaging software.
Preference will be given to Ponca Tribe of Nebraska members or members of a federally recognized tribe. However, all qualified individuals are eligible.
The Ponca Tribe of Nebraska is an at-will employer.
Tribal Council Approval: 07/21/12 rev12/12