The Ponca Cemetery was established in 1880, and is located near the Ponca Community Building, and one of our bison herds views it daily. There are still members being buried on this traditional site.
Plans to expand to the east are in place to prevent overlapping of unmarked graves. The Cemetery Committee has plans to work with Tribal Members in 2012 to mark known graves with names and dates. The newly placed sign designates, for the first time, where many of our ancestors rest.
The top of the hill marks where the first repatriation took place for those of our ancestors that were in museums before being reburied here. There was repatriation later, and another one was done in the fall of 2012.