LAW AND ORDER CODE REVISION
Discussion on April 6 at 10:00 a.m.
During Tribal Council Meeting
**** NOTICE: All Tribal Members ****
The Tribal Council will be discussing amending the Law and Order Code. Please take your time to read this FLYER.
The Ponca Tribal Council will be proposing to add Title XI, Landlord and Tenant Ordinance and Title XVIII, Health to the Ponca Tribal Law and Order Code. Both of these Titles are new and are being added for the following purposes:
The Landlord Tenant Ordinance is being added so that non NPHA landlords and tenants will be provided a law to govern the rights, obligations and remedies. Click to view Title XI.
The ordinance will:
- Provide the law governing the rights, obligations and remedies of the owners, lessors, and tenants of premises in the territory of the Tribe.
- Clarify the laws governing occupation of premises within the territory of the Tribe
- Protect the rights of landlords and tenants withing territory of the Tribe
- Preserve peace, harmony, safety, health and general welfare of members and others in territory of the Tribe
- Provide eviction procedures landlords are required to follow during evictions
- Encourage landlords and tenants to maintain and improve premises in order to improve the quality of housing as a Tribal resource.
The Health Ordinance is being added to provide for holistic, culturally competent health services that will:
- Ensure health services program encourage wellness,
- Ensures health services program is designed to improve health status
- Assures quality health care services
- Provides for preservation of public health during health emergencies
A complete copy of the proposed amendments is available at the tribal offices, or one may be obtained by contacting Jan Colwell, Tribal Council Secretary at 402-857-3391.
There will be a discussion by Tribal Council that is open for public comment on April 6, 2021 at 10:00 a.m. or as soon thereafter as it may be heard.
Written comments will be accepted until noon on March 29, 2021. The written comments may be emailed to email@example.com or mailed to: Jan Colwell, P.O. Box 288, Niobrara, NE 68760