Our education program has been receiving many calls and questions about homeschooling. The following information has been released by Nebraska’s Department of Education:
If you have questions about homeschooling for the 2020/21 school year, please note the following:
· Please visit the Exempt School Program website to review the regulation, FAQs, forms & instructions. The website address is www.education.ne.gov/FOS/exempt-schools.
· Exemption filings are due annually by July 15. For parents/legal guardians who are waiting for schools to announce re-opening and remote learning plans, there is an existing provision in Rule 13 to allow for filing after July 15. File promptly once you make the decision to “home school.”
· If you have already filed, allow 6 weeks for processing. Status checks cannot be done at this time. Refer to the “After Submission” portion of the instructions for further information.
· Your exempt school filing is effective upon receipt by the Department of Education. Refer to Question D28 of the FAQ document.
· A Rule 13 filing is only applicable to students of mandatory school attendance age. A kindergarten student born after 2014, is below the mandatory age. Refer to Section B of the FAQ document.