PRELIMINARY ENGINEERING SERVICES
TRANSPORTATION RELATED ACTIVITIES
September 10, 2021
This Request for Proposal is being sent to engineering firms for providing preliminary engineering services and possible construction management services to the Ponca Tribe of Nebraska for projects listed on our Tribal Transportation Improvement Plan (TTIP) on an as needed basis. Proposals for providing these services will be received until close of business (4:30 P.M. CST) October 11, 2021.
This request is open to all qualified bidders. The work to be performed under this contract is subject to Section 7 of the Indian Self Determination and Education Assistance Act (25 U.S.C. 5307) which requires to the greatest extent feasible preference in the award of contracts and subcontracts shall be given to Ponca Tribe of Nebraska owned and American Indian/Alaska Native owned enterprises. Preference and opportunities for training and employment shall be given to Ponca Tribe of Nebraska members and other American Indians and Alaska Natives. If a qualified and responsible Ponca Tribe of Nebraska firm or a Native American firm is within 5% of the lowest responsible bid it shall be awarded the contract based on Indian Preference. Evaluation factors are based on points. Breakdown is as follows: 50 points for relevant experience, 20 points for price, 10 points each for project team and project approach. Proposals should include all four of the above elements. Qualifications are to be delivered to the following name and address:
Ponca Tribe of Nebraska
2523 Woodbine St.
P.O. Box 288
Niobrara, NE 68701
Attention: Chris Minarik, Procurement Officer
A pre-proposal meeting will be held at 11:00 A.M. on September 22, 2021 at the Ponca Tribe of Nebraska Transit Facility located on the campus of the Ponca Tribe of Nebraska 1800 Syracuse Ave, Norfolk, NE 68701. Questions regarding this request for proposal shall be sent to Todd Snedeker, Transportation Engineer on or before September 20, 2021 by writing Todd Snedeker at firstname.lastname@example.org or may be asked at the pre-proposal meeting. All questions and responses will be made available to all interested bidders by September 26 2021.
The Ponca Tribe of Nebraska is looking for qualifications and hourly rates for projects similar to those described below. Chosen firm will work closely with the Tribe’s Transportation Engineer to ensure that goals from the Long Range Transportation Plan (LRTP) and the Tribal Transportation Improvement Plan (TTIP) are met by providing preliminary engineering services to include;
- National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) Review
- Environmental Review including Assessment if indicated
- Environmental Permits
- Plans, Specifications, and Estimate (PS&E) include design of the facility, and may also include performing a topographic and right-of-way (land ownership) survey of the project corridor, geotechnical and hydraulic field reconnaissance and analysis, coordination with utility companies, and acquiring right-of-way. The PSE is also called the PS&E package in 25 CFR 170.
- Development of the Project Package to include all the construction details, provisions, permits, agreements, conditions, and certifications to administer a construction project/facility. Included in the project package are the Plans, Specifications, and Estimate (PS&E). All plans and specifications shall be stamped by a PE in the State of Nebraska and Iowa to certify that project plans meet applicable health and safety standards as outlined in 25 CFR 170.454.
In addition we are asking that the Tribe be named as additional insured and copies of certificates of insurance supplied to the Tribe (Employer’s Liability Insurance, Comprehensive General Liability, Bodily Injury, Property Damage, Automobile Liability Insurance, Umbrella Liability, Professional Liability to include errors and omissions, Valuable Papers).
The prohibition on use of firms that have been debarred, suspended or are otherwise ineligible for federal or Tribal contracts applies to the award of this contract and the work to be performed under this contract.
PROPOSED LONG TERM TRANSPORTATION PROJECTS
Lincoln Transit Facility-Lincoln, NE: Construct New Transit facility to support the Tribes expanded Transit program. The facility will house transit vehicles and tribal transit offices.
Parking Facility- Carter Lake IA: Demo existing buildings and Construct parking facility to support tribal development including access roads.
Parking Facility- Ralston, NE: Demo existing Parking lot and Construct new parking Lot to support tribal development including access roads.
Transit Facility- Norfolk, NE: Expand current transit facility to accommodate current and future needs of the transit program.
Ponca Education Trail Phase II-Niobrara, NE: Construct Ponca Education Trail and improvements including expand trail onto adjoining land to include scenic overlook and tourist areas.
Parking Facility-Sioux City, IA: Demo existing buildings and construct parking facility to support tribal development including access roads.
GUIDANCE DOCUMENTS AND MANDATORY DESIGN STANDARDS
- TRIBAL TRANSPORTATION PROGRAM DELIVERY GUIDE-2017
- 25 CFR 169
- 25 CFR 170
- AASHTO-Policy on Geometric Design of Highways and Streets
- AASHTO-A Guide for Transportation Landscape and Environmental Design
- AASHTO-Roadside Design Guide
- AASHTO-Guide for Selecting, Locating and Designing Traffic Barriers
- AASHTO-Standard Specifications for Highway Bridges
- AASHTO-Guidelines for Geometric Design of Very Low-Volume Local Roads (ADT less than or equal to 400)
- FHWA-Federal Lands Highway, Project Development and Design Manual
- FHWA-Flexibility in Highway Design
- FHWA-Roadside Improvements for Local Road and Streets
- FHWA-Improving Guardrail Installations and Local Roads and Streets
- 23 CFR 625-Design Standards for Highways
- 23 CFR 630-Preconstruction Procedures
- 23 CFR 633-Required Contract Provisions
- 23 CFR 635-Construction and Maintenance
- 25 CFR 645-Utilities
- 25 CFR 646-Railroads
- 23 USC 106-PS&E
- 23 USC 109-Standards
- DOT Metric Conversion Plan, October 31, 1991
- MUTCD Manual of Uniform Traffic Safety Devices
- Standard Specifications for Construction of Roads and Bridges on Federal Highway Projects FP-14 or latest.
- FHWA approved State Standards
- FHWA approved Tribal design standards