Students attending the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, University of Nebraska-Kearney or the University of Nebraska-Omaha may be eligible to receive additional educational funding through the Ponca Education Trust.
Reasons to Apply
Funding through the Ponca Tribe of Nebraska is considered solely for tuition, book, and fee costs while the Trust Board considers the student’s overall Cost of Attendance.
The Trust funds are “free” money and considered the same as a scholarship or grant.
If eligible for assistance, the Trust funds could reduce your loan burden.
Board of Trustees (Governing Body)
Crystal Howell, Member
Kyle Taylor, Member
Alex Taylor, Member
Michelle Waite, Member and University of Nebraska at Lincoln Representative
How to Apply
All applicants must first apply for assistance through the Ponca Tribe of Nebraska’s Higher Education Program.
Before the Tribe’s Department of Education can share information with the Trust, the student must first sign a Privacy Act Disclosure Statement.
If applying for the first time, a student’s high school transcript is required. If an ongoing college student, a copy of your most recent college transcript is needed.
You must submit an essay describing what personal and professional experience you hope to gain by attending the University.
You must include a letter stating the amount of funding you are requesting.
You must include a copy of your official itemized student bill for reimbursement consideration of any educational related costs, such as tuition, fees, room & board, parking, etc. For books, a copy of the actual receipt is needed. Off campus housing may be requested although it will require submission of an applicable rental agreement.
Because funding is supplemental, you must apply for any other grants or scholarships that are available to you through the University.
Completed applications are due within two months after the beginning of the semester.
- You must maintain a 2.5 grade point average or higher.
- A full-time student will be funded for a maximum of four years or eight semesters.
- The scholarship is limited to undergraduate students.
- You must provide documentation that you are enrolled in 12 or more hours per semester.
- Students must be in good standing with both the Ponca Tribe of Nebraska and the University.
- Funding through both the Tribe and the Trust is need based.
Therefore, all students are required to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine their PELL eligibility.
- Once funded through the Trust, a transcript will be required at the end of each semester to determine your eligibility for continued funding.
Note: The Trust Committee determines awards annually with funds distributed based on semesters.